About Stephanie Reid for HaikuFlash
the distance between human kind and the rest of the natural world began
with the first technology, written language.
That rift is growing as societies become more entrenched in technology.
In an effort to reconcile that divide, in my own life,
I explore ways to harmonize technology and nature through art.
2016 Acts of Disappearing as Methods for Reappearing.
Museum of Human Achievement. Austin, TX AND Uferstudios. Berlin, Germany
2012-2013 Hidden Places. Dougherty Arts Center, Julia C Butridge Gallery, Austin, TX AND The Jung Center, Houston, TX
2004 Electric Paint. Barnes and Noble Café, Austin, TX
2004 Behind the Looking Glass. Topaz Salon, Austin, TX
1991 Visages. Tarrant County College Photography Gallery, Hurst, TX
Selected Group Exhibits and Lectures
2022 Monologues and Poetry International Film Fest. Vallejo, CA
2022 Tune in to Green - Minor Chord II. Live screening at Brewtorium event space. Austin, TX
2022 Tune in to Green - Exhibition Seven. Live screening at Sparky Pocket Park event space. Austin, TX
2022 Tune in to Green - Exhibition Six. Live screening at Casa de Luz. Austin, TX
2020-2022 Tune in to Green, Exhibitions 1-7, Minor Chord, and Minor Chord II. Diorama Room (online)
2022 Linda Montano's Birthdayrama + Love Letters to Linda. Franklin Furnace.
2021 Mix 'n' Mash - Las Flores. Mexic-Arte. Austin, TX
2021 Place, Pandemics, and The Suspension of Time. Artists Talk. Ely Ctr for Contemporary Art. New Haven, CT
2020-2021 The (NotSo) Short Fest. Ely Center for Contemporary Art. New Haven, CT
2020 Birdwatching. Collection RERT. Austin, TX
2019 Texas Toast (Juried). Co-Lab Projects. Austin, TX
2018 Spirit House. Haiku Flash Studios. Austin, TX
2017 Gimme Shelter (Juried). Columbia City Gallery. Seattle, WA
2017 Weather (By invitation). Lower Level Creative Space. Denver, CO
2016 Back to Athens Festival (by invitation from the Berlin Soup Collective). Athens, Greece
2015 Mix 'n' Mash - Loteria. Mexic-Arte. Austin, TX
2015 Loose Affairs. SomoS Gallery. Berlin, Germany
2014 Conversations (Collaborative Drawing Show) with the Yeah! Collectiph Cement Loop Studios, Austin, TX
2014 Pop Up Show. SomoS Gallery. Berlin, Germany
2011 Put Another Hat on the Fire with the Yeah! Collectiph. Alice Coltrane Memorial Center. Portland, OR
2011 ABAD ~ Memento. Willow North Gallery. Phoenix, AZ
2011 Art in Public Places (Juried). The People’s Gallery @ Austin City Hall
2011 100-4-100 Scholarship Fundraiser Art Auction. Texas State University. San Marcos, TX
2010 16 Seconds with the Yeah! Collectiph. Big Red Sun, Austin, TX
2006 City of Austin National Arts Program Exhibit. Carver Museum, Austin, TX
2005 Art in Public Places (Juried). Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
2005 Capital Area Food Bank Fundraiser. Bouldin Creek Café, Austin, TX
2005 The Unicorn Show. Bolm Studios. Austin, TX
2004 Electricity and Me (Juried). Gallery Lombardi. Austin, TX
2004 Firefighters’ Fundraiser Exhibit. Galerie Jean Moulin. Austin, TX
2003 Earth, Wind, Fire, Water. Elements Gallery. Austin, TX
2003 Hold on to Your Dreams Scholarship Fundraiser Art Auction. Dougherty Arts School.
2002 Mas! Mas! Mas! Por Que? Por Que? (Juried). Gallery Lombardi. Austin, TX
2001 Electricity and Me (Juried). Gallery Lombardi. Austin, TX
1995 The New Gothic (by invitation). Texas Union Art Gallery. Austin, TX
1992 Installments. Cermak Gallery. Chicago, IL
2022 Puffin Foundation Grant Recipient for Tune in to Green short film series (to sister org, Diorama Room Arts)
2012 Puffin Foundation Grant Recipient for Bastrop State Park – Back to the Beginning photography project
2006 Honorable Mention. City of Austin National Arts Program Exhibit. George Washington Carver Museum, Austin, TX
1989 Scholarship Winner. District-wide Portfolio Exhibit. Tarrant County College, Hurst, TX
Publications and Reviews
2012 Parker, Bryan. Pop Press International. June 14, 2012. https://www.poppressinternational.com/2012/06/14/art-exhibition-stephanie-reid-hidden-places/
2012 Bornstein, Stephen. “Dougherty Arts Center hosts Stephanie Reid’s Fascinating Show, Hidden Places.” Austin Parks and Recreation Blog. June 18, 2012.
2009 Jeju Weekly photojournalism and copy writing. https://www.haikuflash.com/gallery/Jeju-Weekly-Assignments/G0000OZj8mRcMOgA/C000074LqeqB44C4
Austin Public Producers Program. March 2019 – 2020
MFA in Creative Practice with a Concentration in Experimental Video.
Transart Institute (Accredited by University of Plymouth UK, School of Arts and Media). August 2016
BA in Organizational Management with a Concentration in Arts Organizations. August 2008
Austin Community College. Studies in multimedia and graphic design. 5/1998 – 12/2002
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago - Studies in photography, film, video. 8/1991 – 8/1992
Tarrant County College - Studies in photography, fine art, art history, design, literature, philosophy, and French. 8/1989 – 6/1991
Other Curation and Art Event Experience
Creative Director. Diorama Room Arts. 2020-present. Austin, TX.
1) Curate and edit Tune in to Green short film series, 2) Manage submissions, 3) Marketing and communications, 4) Live screening event coordination and operation, 5) Budgeting, grants applications and oversight, fiscal accounting and reporting
Creative Director. Haiku Flash Studios. 2018. Spirit House. Participatory installation & performance with sound and video. Austin, TX.
1) Developed storyline, choreography and sound framework, 2) Organized artists and rehearsals, 3) Created video, circular projection curtain, and spirit house sculpture, 4) Marketing, 5) Documentation
Exhibition Assistant. Eto Otitigbe's Patience on a Monument. 2016. The New Gallery at Warfield Center for African and African American Studies / University of Texas. Austin, TX.
Assisted with sanding, cleaning, sealing, and installation of sculptural "monuments"
Event Participant and Assistant. Transart Triennale. 2016. Uferstudios. Berlin, Germany.
1) Curated online photography gallery of three photographers. 2) Wrote an essay titled Dissolve tying those works into Rosi Braidotti's "The Ethics of Becoming Imperceptible", 3) Co-hosted and facilitated viewing of all online showcases by visitors in the Media Lounge, 4) Created information cards for Media Lounge, 5) Installed ceiling hung microphones for "Polyphonic Essay on Intimacy and Distance", 6) Installed ceiling mounted projector for film screening room
Exhibition Assistant. Loose Affairs. 2016. SomoS Gallery. Berlin, Germany. Transart Institute's graduating class, pre-thesis show.
1) Assisted with planning of placement of works, 2) installed work, 3) created and hung name labels and wall text.
Exhibition Partner.Conversations. 2014. Cement Loop Studios. Austin, TX.
1) Co-curated this participatory drawing show with the Yeah! Club Collectiph. 2) Contacted artists to participate prior to show, 3) Assisted with initial drawing meetup, 3) Helped hang work (before opening) in studio/gallery to show interactions between drawings, 4) Marketing, 5) Assisted with gallery setup, 6) Facilitated public participation, 7) Photographic documentation
Volunteer. Brenda Ladd Photography Studio. 2012. Austin, TX
1) Assisted with studio and field location lighting and backdrop setups, 2) Assisted with shoots, using reflectors, meters + making camera, tripod, and light adjustments, 3) Completed digital editing using Bridge, Photoshop, and Lightroom on Mac
Volunteer. Women & Their Work. 2011-2012. Austin, TX.
1) Photographed exhibitions and events, then shared on social media, 2) Assisted with gallery prep, installation, 3) Designed collateral, forms, and member cards, 4) Conducted research for grant applications, 5) Facilitated participation from student groups, 6) Provided exhibition tours
Exhibition Partner. 16 Seconds exhibit. 2010. Big Red Sun Event Space. Austin, TX.
Co-curated show of works created in 16 seconds with the Yeah! Club Collectiph and 1) Acted as POC for all artists, 2) Made arrangements and met with event space mgmt. for planning, installation, and setup days, 2) Collected and installed artists' works, 3) Planned layout of artworks, 4) Marketing and Communications 5) Facilitated participation from guests in the interactive art area, 6) Assisted with setup and breakdown of event
Photography Instructor and Exhibition Coordinator. East Side, Then and Now exhibit. 2004 Cepeda Library.
Curated student show for Media Studies Texas Empowerment Academy class featuring historical photos of East Austin alongside student photos of gentrified places shown in those historical photos. 1) Selected photos from the Austin History Center, 2) Taught students photography skills with 35mm cameras, 3) Went on walking photo excursions around East Austin, 4) Selected student photos for exhibition, 5) Archivally mounted historical photos with students', 6) Made arrangements with library and installed work there, 7) Planned exhibition opening for students
Arts Instructor and Exhibition Partner. Totally Cool, Totally Art annual exhibitions. 2002-2006. Hancock, Austin, and Parque Zaragosa Recreation Centers + Mexic-Arte Museum.
1) Taught photography, Photoshop, and collage to teens at all recreation centers in Austin, 2) Selected 1-3 best images of each student to be shown in end-of-school exhibitions, 3) Mounted and displayed images
Intern. Silent Film Era in Chicago exhibit. 1992. Chicago Historical Society.
Assistant to curator for this show about when the film industry lived in Chicago. 1) Located photographic still images and films in the archive, 2) Made selections from photographic print candidates, 3) Arranged flow of images.