About Stephanie Reid for HaikuFlash
the distance between human kind and the rest of the natural world began with the first technology, written language. That rift has been growing as societies have become more entrenched in technology.
I concern my art practice with exploring ways to use technology and nature together
in an effort to reconcile that divide.
2016 Acts of Disappearing as Methods for Reappearing. Museum of Human Achievement. Austin, TX AND Uferstudios. Berlin, Germany
2012-2013 Hidden Places. Dougherty Arts Center, Austin, TX. AND The Jung Center, Houston, TX
2004 Electric Paint. Barnes and Noble Café, Austin, TX
2004 Behind the Looking Glass. Topaz Salon, Austin, TX
1991 Visages. Tarrant County College Photography Gallery, Hurst, TX
Selected Group Exhibits
2020 Birdwatching. Collection RERT. Austin, TX
2019 Texas Toast. (Juried). Co-Lab Projects. Austin, TX
2018 Spirit House. Haiku Flash Studios. Austin, TX
2017 Gimme Shelter. (Juried). Columbia City Gallery. Seattle, WA
2017 Weather (By invitation). Lower Level Creative Space. Denver, CO
2016 Back to Athens Festival. (By invitation from the Berlin Soup collective). Athens, Greece
2015 Mix 'n' Mash. Mexic-Arte, Austin, TX
2015 Loose Affairs. SomoS Gallery, Berlin, Germany
2014 Conversations with the Yeah! Collectiph. Collaborative drawings. Cement Loop Studios, Austin, TX
2014 Pop Up Show. SomoS Gallery, Berlin, Germany
2011 Put Another Hat on the Fire. Yeah! Collectiph. Alice Coltrane Memorial Center, Portland, OR
2011 ABAD ~ Memento. Willow North Gallery, Phoenix, AZ
2011 Art in Public Places (Juried). The People’s Gallery @ Austin City Hall
2011 100-4-100, Scholarship Fundraiser Art Auction. Texas State University
2010 16 Seconds. Yeah! Collectiph. Big Red Sun, Austin, TX
2006 City of Austin National Arts Program Exhibit. Carver Museum, Austin, TX
2005 Art in Public Places. Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
2005 Capital Area Food Bank Fundraiser. Bouldin Creek Café, Austin, TX
2005 The Unicorn Show. Bolm Studios, Austin, TX
2004 Electricity and Me, Juried. Gallery Lombardi, Austin, TX
2004 Firefighters’ Fundraiser Exhibit. Galerie Jean Moulin, Austin, TX
2003 Earth, Wind, Fire, Water. Elements Gallery, Austin, TX
2003 Hold on to Your Dreams, Scholarship Fundraiser Art Auction. Dougherty Arts School.
2002 Mas! Mas! Mas! Por Que? Por Que? Juried. Gallery Lombardi, Austin, TX
2001 Electricity and Me (Juried). Gallery Lombardi, Austin, TX
1995 The New Gothic (By invitation). Texas Union Art Gallery, Austin, TX
1992 Installments. Cermak Gallery, Chicago, IL
Curation and Art Event Experience
2018 Spirit House Gathering. Haiku Flash Studios. Austin, TX. Curated: participatory installation + performance with sound and video.
1) Developed storyline, choreography and sound framework, 2) Organized artists and rehearsals, 3) Created sculpture, video, and circular projection curtain, 4) Created invitations
2016 Eto Otitigbe's Patience on a Monument. The Warfield Center Collection. Austin, TX. Assisted with sanding, cleaning, sealing, and installation of sculptural "monuments"
2016 Transart Triennale. Berlin, Germany. Uferstudios. Event featuring international contemporary artists working under the theme "Imperceptible Self"
Assisted: 1) Created information cards for the event, 2) Co-hosted in Media Tent, 3) Installed ceiling hung microphones for "Polyphonic Essay on Intimacy and Distance",
4) Installed ceiling mounted projector for film screening room) https://www.elsefoundation.org/triennale2016
2016 Dissolve. Transart Institute Triennale Media Lounge. Uferstudios. Berlin, Germany. Curated: online photography gallery.
1) Coordinated with three photographers' and selected works from their portfolios, 2) Wrote an essay tying those works into Rosi Braidotti's "The Ethics of Becoming Imperceptible",
3) Created blog post, 4) Facilitated viewing of our post, and other Triennale online showcases, by visitors in the Media Lounge
https://www.elsefoundation.org/this-blog OR https://www.elsefoundation.org/this-blog/dissolve
2016 Loose Affairs. SomoS Gallery. Berlin, Germany. Transart Institute's graduating class, pre-thesis show. Assisted with planning of placement of works, installation, and creation + hanging of wall texts
2014 Conversations. Cement Loop Studios, Austin, TX. Co-curated: participatory drawing show.
1) Helped contact artists to participate prior to show, 2) Assisted with initial drawing meetup, 3) Helped hang work (before opening) in studio/gallery to show interactions between drawings,
4) Sent invitations to additional guests / participants, 4) Assisted with setup of tables and supplies + refreshments areas 5) Facilitated participation at opening and hung works made at the event opening
2010 16 Seconds. Big Red Sun Event Space, Austin, TX. Co-curated: show of work created in 16 seconds, or rounds of, created in any medium
1) Acted as POC for all artists, 2) Made arrangements and met with event space mgmt. for planning, installation, and setup days, 3) Collected and installed artists' works,
4) Planned layout of space, 5) Created invitation and disseminated via Facebook, email, and bulletin boards, 6) Facilitated participation from guests in the interactive art area,
7) Assisted with setup and breakdown of event
2012 Puffin Foundation Grant Recipient for "Bastrop State Park – Back to the Beginning" photography project
2006 Honorable Mention. City of Austin National Arts Program Exhibit. George Washington Carver Museum, Austin, TX
1989 Scholarship Winner. District-wide Portfolio Exhibit. Tarrant County College, Hurst, TX
Publications and Reviews
2012 Parker, Bryan. Pop Press International. June 14, 2012. http://www.poppressinternational.com/2012/06/14/art-exhibition-stephanie-reid-hidden-places/
2012 Bornstein, Stephen. “Dougherty Arts Center hosts Stephanie Reid’s Fascinating Show, Hidden Places.” Austin Parks and Recreation Blog. June 18, 2012.
Jeju Weekly journalism and photography
http://www.jejuweekly.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=414 (uncredited article)
http://www.jejuweekly.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=272 (uncredited photos)
http://www.jejuweekly.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=268 (uncredited photos)
MFA in Creative Practice with Concentration in Digital Arts - Transart Institute (Accredited by University of Plymouth UK, School of Arts and Media) - August 2016
BA in Organizational Management with a Concentration in Arts Organizations - August 2008
Austin Community College - Studies in multimedia and graphic design
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago - Studies in photography, film, video
Tarrant County College - Studies in photography, fine art, art history, design, literature, philosophy, and French